Sunday, September 12, 2010

Discovering the Story I Was Meant to Write

During the summer, I participated in SuNo. It was a very tough story to write because I discovered very quickly that I was not writing the story that I was meant to write. I was writing the one I wanted to. It's very hard to write a story that I want when I know it's not the one I'm meant to. It sounds crazy to have an disagreement with yourself over the direction of the story (but those of you who write know what I'm talking about).

People know that making a story takes time and effort. They know about the characters, the plot, the setting, the genre, and all the other things that are daunting. However, they rarely think that they will get in the way of the story they want to tell. I've mentioned before that your story will turn out different sometimes and that's all right! However, just make sure you don't stand in your own way.

Recently, I was looking over my trilogy and thinking of The Second Rebellion and what I should do with them. I am going to have to rewrite them again. I'm not disappointed that this will be the third time I've started them again. I'm just glad that I'm getting closer to what I'm supposed to be writing. It just means that my story is going to be that much better when I finally finish it. I can't wait!

No comments: